Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy New Year !

Haft Sîn or the seven 'S's is a major tradition of Nowruz, the traditional Iranian new year. It has a complex history and there are indication referring to Kayanids mentioning that (šahd, šir, šarāb, šikkar-e nāb, šamʿ, šamšād, šāya”) literally (honey, milk, wine, pure sugar, a candle, branches of box-tree, and fruits) has been the seven S's on the Nowruz table. Today the haft sin table includes seven items specifically starting with the letter S or Sîn (س in the Persian alphabet). The items symbolically correspond to seven creations and holy immortals protecting them. Originally called Haft Chin, the Haft Sin has evolved over time, but has kept its symbolism. Traditionally, families attempt to set as beautiful a Haft Sîn table as they can, as it is not only of traditional and spiritual value, but also noticed by visitors during Nowruzi visitations and is a reflection of their good taste.

This is the 7 sin table that I set.

The Haft Sin items are:

sîb (سیب)- apples - symbolizing beauty and health
sabzeh(سبزه) - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth
lit candles (enlightenment and happiness)
samanu (سمنو)- a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence (The glass on the left)
senjed (سنجد)- the dried fruit of the ole aster tree - symbolizing love (The glass on the right)
Rose water for its magical cleansing powers (in that red rose-water bottle at middle)

sîr (سیر)- garlic - symbolizing medicine

The Holy Quran for Muslims




A mirror and decorated eggs, sometimes one for each member of the family (fertility)
I decorated and painted all eggs myself ;)

serkeh (سرکه)- vinegar - symbolizing age and patience
sekkeh (سکه)- coins (prosperity and wealth)

Divan of Hafez ( Hafez's poems book)

A glass with red and gold fish (life, and the sign of Pisces which the sun is leaving)

-------------------------------------------------
In 4 hours, the New Year will be started. Yes, again we finished 1 year of our life with a complex of happy and sad times. Since I remember, it was a question for me that why God has created us? I ask myself this question at the end of per year and I am sorry that I do not have any answers yet.
For the New Year, I wish No War, No tears, No sad happening in the entire world. I hope all kind wishes come in true. Happy New Year!
Let's pray for a peace full World!
My dear friends, I am going to travel to Tehran tomorrow with a turned off cell phone and a closed lap top. With any lesson to study, any project to do. I am so tired and want to be a little relaxed. I'll update the blog on 27TH of March with many photos from other parts of Iran.