Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Side Trip: Mecca and the Philosophy of Haj

Posted by MeeadI found that you may be interested to see Kaaba's photos and know more about Haj. I took these photos when I was in Mecca last year. I look forward to Sara's photos too.

During the Hajj, muslims are to circumambulate the Kaaba seven times, in a counter-clockwise direction. This symbolises the seven times that Mohammad (and also Abraham) circled the Kaaba hundreds of years ago. The circling is believed to demonstrate the unity of the believers in the worship of the One God, as they move in harmony together around the central house which is only a house of stones in its outward look.

Do you know the philosophy of this movement? If you take a careful look at all parts of the world from tiny atoms to large galaxies, all round around a center. Life is based on circulation:
Electrons round around the atom core;
The movement of blood around the body;
The circulation of water around the world;
Earth rounds around the sun;
Solar System rounds around the Milkway galaxy;
Angels round around the God throne;
And pilgrims also round around the Kaba, and worship the God.

Good to know that undressing of clothes is just a symbolic representation of my removal of everything associated with me, except myself, my soul. By doing this I am going into the presence of my Lord alone. It's only me and my Lord, with no one in between.

Isn't it nice?