Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sanabad Street

Today is the last Saturday. Thank you my friends for your kind comments and sorry for not visitng your blogs for a few days. I'm busy these days with getting ready for my big trip. Portland Daily Photos will start working on Friday, September 19. Sara will keep Mashhad Daily Photos alive and active during my long absence. She will start posting her photos on Tuesday, September 16. I'll support her with my visits and comments.

In the beginning of the 9th century, Mashhad was a small village called Sanabad. It was not considered a great city until Mongol raids in 1220 which caused the destruction of many large cities in the Greater Khorasan territories, leaving this place relatively intact. Thus the survivors of the massacres migrated to Mashhad and it became larger.

Sanabad Street, which is one the most famous and oldest streets, is the original place of the old Sanabad village in this city.